This is Balux. More on him at the end.
Yesterday was not a work day here in the commonwealth where we were celebrating the Queen’s birthday, so we met today (Tuesday) instead. We talked about Jesus’ teaching working through the following points:
- Jesus preached repentance (Mark 1:14-15)
- Sinful actions are a result of our sinfulness (Mark 7:20-23)
- God wasn’t pleased with the pride of the Pharisees (Luke 18:9-14)
- Jesus upped the ante by addressing the heart instead of behavior (Matthew 5:21-47)
- Jesus’ standard is perfection (Matthew 5:48)
- We must be born again (John 3:1-6)
- Jesus would be lifted up like the snake for eternal life (John 3:14-16)
- Eternal life is knowing God–not just Heaven (John 17:3)
- Jesus is the only way to God (John 14:6)
- Jesus predicted his death (Mark 9:30-32; 10:32-34)
Today was really great. The guys were hanging on every point and paying very close attention to everything. As I was asking questions, they were recalling things form previous lessons and making connections in a very encouraging way. I am excited to see what happens next time.
After our time together, as I was walking back to our house before returning to work, Balux jogged to catch up with me and told me how happy he was about what he has been hearing. And then he told me that every time I teach, he goes home after work and gathers his wife and kids together and tells them, “This is what Joseph said today…” He explained to me that they have heard different things from pastors in this area, but have never heard the whole story in the way I am teaching it. With tears in his eyes, he said they are learning and understanding new things for the first time. As you might imagine, this was a humbling and extremely encouraging experience.